Holy Name : Arulmigu Sri Suriyanar Temple
God : Sri Siva Suriyan, Sri Suryanarayanaswamy
Goddess : Sri Ushadevi, Sri ( Pradyushadevi ) Chayadevi
Location : Suriyanarkoil, Tanjavur District, Tamlnadu, India
History & Importance :
- Temple for the Navagrahas, the nine planets. Of the nine grahas, the primary position is given to Lord Surya which is why the first day of the week is said to be Sunday.
Lord Sun graces in the temple facing west with a Lotus on both hands accompanied by His consorts Ushadevi on the left and Pradhyushadevi on the right.
- Suriyanar Koil is the only Surya temple in Tamil Nadu and the first of all the Navagraha temples to visit.
- As Sun is noted for His scorching heat, to cool down the effect, planet Guru (Jupiter) is just opposite the shrine, facilitating His worship under a bearable temperature. Sun’s Horse vehicle is also before Him, as Nandhi is before Lord Shiva.
- Only temple where all the navagrahas are present with separate sannadhis. None of the Navagrahas is armed. The Navagrahas (nine planets) are without their their vahans-vehicles.They are full of grace and it would be very fruitful to visit him temple at least once. Since these Navagrahas are the agents through whom we enjoy the fruits of our past-karma, we should not neglect to propitiate them for the attainment of inner peace.
- Famous festivals are Ratha Saptami in the Tamil month of Thai, and the first Sundays in the months of Aavani (Leo) and Kartikai(Scorpio) and Vijaya Dasami are celebrated in this temple.
- There are shrines to Kasi Vishwanath, Visalakshi and Brihaspati(Guru) within the sanctum while shrines for the other celestial bodies are located outside.The Kol Theertha Vinayakar shrine is considered very important.
- It is compulsory that at the first one should worship Shiva (Prananadeswarar) and Parvati (Mangalambigai) at Thirumangalakudi and after that they can offer worship to Suryanarayana and other Navagrahas.
- Special pujas are performed on all Sundays to Sivasuriyanar. This is known as Maha Abishek. Also the transit days of Saturn and Jupiter are celebrated very devotionally in the temple.
- Suriyanar Koil temple is designed like a chariot like vimana, representing the sun’s chariot. The holy tank here is called as Surya Pushkarni which is in the north side of Raja Gopuram.
Thala Virutcham : Vellerukku
Benefits: Relief from problems, obstacles and hardship due to Sade Sathi, Ashtama Shani and Janma Shani will be resolved by offering worship at the temple for two months.The persons who suffer the ill effects of Kalathara Dosham, Vivaha Paribandha Dosham, Puthra Dosham, Puthra Paribandha Dosham, Vidhya Paribandha Dosham, Udyoga Padhibandha Dosham, Surya dasai, Surya bukthi would benefit from worshipping at this temple.