June is the sixth month of the year in the Julian andGregorian calendars and one of the four months with a length of 30 days. June is the month with the longest daylight hours of the year in theNorthern Hemisphere and the shortest daylight hours of the year in theSouthern Hemisphere. June in the Northern Hemisphere is the seasonal equivalent to December in the Southern Hemisphere and vice versa. In the Northern hemisphere, the beginning of the meteorological summer is 21 June. In the Southern hemisphere, the beginning of the meteorologicalwinter is 21 June.
The month is named after the Roman goddess Juno, the goddess of marriage and the wife of the supreme deity Jupiter.
Symbols of June
- June’s birthstones are pearl, alexandrite and moonstone.
- The birth flower is rose.
- The zodiac signs for the month of June are Gemini (until June 21) and Cancer (June 22 onwards).
Some Important Dates of June
- Bike Week (Bicycle Week) is a yearly international event that advocates the importance of bicycling as a means of transportation. Bike Week takes place during the second week of May or June and is typically an entire week of city-wide cycling supplemented with events.
- Mother’s Day (in Luxembourg on the second Sunday in June) .
- Father’s Day (in Belgium on the second Sunday in June)(in the United States, the United Kingdom,Mexico, Venezuela, the Netherlands, Ireland and Canada on the third Sunday in June).
- World Environment Day June 5 to create awareness on the environmental issues.
- Flag Days of Sweden (June 6), United States (June 14),Denmark (June 15), Argentina (June 20), and Romania (June 26).
- Youth Day in South Africa June 16.
Month of Celebrations
- National Rose Month
- National Tennis Month.
- National Safety Month
- National Dairy Month
- African-American Music Month
- National Ice Tea Month
- National Candy Month
- National Zoo & Aquarium Month
- Men’s Health Month
- Recreation and Parks Month
- National Pet Preparedness Month
- Cancer Immunotherapy Month
Happy June & Happy Monsoon !!!